Have you ever wanted to build your very own Homopolar Motor? No? Well I'm gonna show you anyway! It's easy, quick, and impresses your friends, definitely worth your time!
Step 1: Aquiring Materials
The first thing you're going to need is 3 basic materials
- A 1.5 volt battery
- A copper wire , easy to bend
- 2 ring shaped magnets
A few optional materials you may want
- Pliers, helpful if you have a sturdy wire
- For topper decoration (optional) in step 5-
- Pieces of paper, small (a picture of your face or something)
Step 2: Assemble Battery and Magnets
The second thing you're going to do is put together your magnets and battery, this part is very simple, easy to do.
- Put the magnets on top of one another so they attract
- Place the battery upright on top of them
- Make sure the magnets attract the battery so they stick together
Step 3: Bend Your Wire
Depending on what kind of copper wire you have, this step may require pliers, make sure the shape you bend it to won't come apart easily.
- Put a dent in the middle of the wire
- Fold it in half
- Ben the two sides into a heart shape
- Instead of tapering at the bottom, make the wire tips curve in a loop towards each other
- Leave a space between the tips the width of your magnets.
Step 4: Put It All Together
Now that you have your battery and magnets assembled and your wire bent, it's time for assembly!
- Balance the inverted center of your heart shaped wire on top of the battery
- Make sure it stays in place
- Position the two ends on opposite side of the top magnet, you may have to adjust for height
- Now, if your motor doesn't run, you can experiment with putting the magnets on different ends of the battery
- You can also flip the battery if the motor doesn't run as fast as you want
Step 5: Topper Decoration
As you can see in the picture, my friend and I, after assembling our motor, wanted to add some decoration, you can do this too!
- Print out 2 pictures of yourself or a friend, as small as you can
- Tape the pictures to each other so the faces are on the outside
- If you want a cube or triangular prism shaped topper, print out 3 or 4 pictures and tape in your preferred formation
- Tape the attached pictures to the top of the wire
- Now watch as your face(s) spin around on your Homopolar motor!