Before you start making the Speaker, make sure you have the following things :-
1) A dead Hard Drive (you can get it from a dead pc)
2) A proper Screw Driver (to open it)
3) Some wires
4) Wire Cutter or any other cutting tool
5) A audio amp (or a DVD with speaker outputs will work too)
6) Soldering Skills
That's it !!!
Step 1: Opening The HDD
Get your HDD (hard drive), & a proper Screw Driver for opening it.
*Please note that your Hard Drive may differ from mine. So pay attention to the parts in it, as they are almost similar.
Check out for the Screws in the image and open it carefully.
Don't forget to open it from both the sides.
Step 2: Opening it more !!
The Most important thing for the HDD Speaker is the Read/Write Arm.
We need to remove it for turning the hard drive into a speaker.
Remove the Remaining Screws as shown in the image.
In-order to remove the Actuator magnet after removing its Screw, make the use of a forceps or a flat pointed tool.
Use that tool to push the plate outwards and separate both the plates from each other.
Step 3: Removing the Arm
1) Remove the Screw of the Arm movement Limiter and remove it.
2) Push the arm away from the platter to take it out of the HDD. And Remove it by pulling outwards.
Step 4: Working on the Arm
This Step needs carefulness and patience.
1)The Arm taken out has a connector with it. But we don't need that Connector, so cut it out. The Arm is now free.
2)Flip it to get its two Solder points below the arm.
3)Also Cut the tip of Arm, as it will create Friction between the platter disk and the arm.
4)Now Get some thin and flat wires (we need two) and solder them carefully to these two solder points on the Arm. Don't let these wires Short. Be Careful.
Step 5: Repacking it again
1) Place the Arm with wires, back into the HDD as you removed it.
2) Place all the Parts that we removed earlier (Arm Movement Limiter, Magnet Plate) back into thier place. Don't forget to tighten their screws.
3) Tighten the remaining screws as shown in the images.
4) Tie a knot of the wires to the Magnet plates so as to fix the wires (you can use hot glue too) .
5) Take them out of the Connector hole.
That's it !!! Your HDDspeaker is ready...!!!
Step 6: Testing it !!!
In order to test your speaker you will need a audio amplifier of minimum 2 watts Rms to hear it working.
Also you can connect it to your music system.
Here, in this instructable I had used a old Dvd.
1) Connect the wires of your HDD speaker to your music system properly.
2) And Let the Music Play...!!!
Watch "HDD Speaker" in action in the video........